Bulls on Test
KB Farms consigns to the Michigan and Indiana Bull Test Programs as well as the Midland Bull Test. We will have the bull pedigrees, EPD’s, and performance data from each test available here at the start of the test.
Midland Bull Test
Sale April 5-6, 2018
KB-All In of 4044 D44 – LOT 155
KB-Weigh Up of C18 D45 – LOT 156
KB-Rampage of Y074 D52 – LOT 157
KB-Discovery of 3605 E04 – LOT 158
KB-Rampage of 4275 E10 – LOT 159
KB-Discovery of 164 E12 – LOT 160
KB-Absolute of A39 E25 – LOT 161
KB-Journey of E73 E27 – LOT 162
KB-Rampage of A17 E31 – LOT 163
KB-All In of 4044 E40 – LOT 164
KB-Absolute Advantage E20 – LOT 165
What are the advantages of genomic-enhanced EPDs?
- Much higher accuracy EPDs for unproven cattle
- Provide reliable EPDs for traits that are difficult and/or expensive to measure
- Faster generation turnover with fewer mistakes
- Simple, easy to interpret results with an “all-in-one” value
What is the value of EPD accuracy?
- Faster rate of genetic progress
- Feed and labor cost savings in seedstock development
- Value of time: Specifically in relation to earlier selection and more information for marketing and customer relations
- Opportunity cost of making the wrong decision
Which beef segments can benefit from GE-EPDs?
- Purebred seedstock producers
- Commercial cow/calf operations, especially those that retain ownership and/or raise their own replacement females
- Feedlot and stocker/yearlying producers
- Alliances/branding beef programs
$W and $B Indexes
WEANED CALF VALUE (SW)
Utilize the $W index if you are a producer focused on performance and pre-weaning gain. Therefore, if you market your calves at weaning time or shortly thereafter, $W is a trait we suggest you focus on, as it takes into consideration Birth Weight, Maternal Milk, and Mature Cow Size, and directly impacts pounds at weaning time (WW).
BEEF VALUE (SB)
For Producers focused on post-weaning growth and carcass value, this index should fit into your program. If you are a producer who retains ownership of calves through the feedlot, this index takes into consideration growth and performance following weaning, as well as incorporating carcass merit.